Saturday, November 15, 2008

TWO New Editions to our Family!

Jayson and I had talked about the possibility of getting a dog for awhile now...we had no idea that it would happen so quick! We had been looking on KSL for a chocolate lab...that is what we really wanted. We hadn't really found anything until Jayson sent me a link to an ad that was for 2 dogs. One a chocolate lab, the other a type that I keep forgetting the name of...I will find out ASAP. The lab's name is Gracie and Freckles is the other one. Freckles is a trained bird dog and Gracie is still learning but getting there pretty quick. The cool thing was that we got the dogs...FREE OF CHARGE! Their previous owners had them both basically their entire lives and actually didn't want to give them up, but these idiotic neighbors built their master suite right next to the dog kennel...GO FIGURE! So they complained about the barking and the smell and wanted them out of there. So we came to look at the dogs not knowing exactly what was going to happen. The last owners were really sad about giving them up but they were so glad that they were going to a place where they will have lots of place to run and that they will get the attention that they deserve. So we got them as a package deal and also got their igloo's, dog runs, self feeders, water buckets, bark collars, regular collars, leashes, and everything else you could ever possibly imagine to have for a dog.
We were really nervous about keeping them in our apartment that first night because we weren't going to be able to take them to our soon to be new home in Randolph until the next day....so we snuck them in, got them all settled with food and water and crossed our fingers. It was one of the best nights sleep both of us have ever gotten! They didn't bark or whimper, or make any kind of noise! Then at about 7:30 we hear just a little scratch on the door. That was it! Then Jayson and I took them for a walk and they are seriously the best behaved dogs I have ever seen. On the walk they didn't bark at anything...even other dogs. And Freckles...oh man she was going crazy with all the birds around. (actually we can't say the word BIRD anymore...they are just the "B-words" because if she hears you say it...she is going to get you one and bring it back haha).
During the truck ride up to Randolph they both were so well behaved...they just laid right down in the back and stayed that way the whole 2 hour trip. We stopped once to let them out for a little potty break...they did their business and then were back ready to get into the truck. I WAS SO AMAZED!
So we have had them about 3 days now and still I have only heard them bark once at a tractor, and they stay in our little yard and never venture too far without checking back to see if its ok. They come when called, sit, lay down, and seriously just behave so well.
YAY FOR NEW DOGGIES!!!!!!! :) I will put pictures up ASAP

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Melanie! I'm so glad that you found my blog! How are you? So, You're moving? Do you still work at Small Smiles? I would love to hear more about how you're doing. You don't have to E-mail me, but if you would like to, my E-mail is frenchfryqueen@hotmail.com. oh, and congrats on the dogs! That's awesome!