Wednesday, May 12, 2010

1/2 year and a little education :)

My little sweet Hudson boy is 6 months old today! I don't really have any recent pictures so this is all just me rambling away, just FYI! :) I can't believe my little man is 6 months. It really seems like just yesterday we were coming home from the hospital. Hudson is still doing really well and I am just loving being his mom. It was so great to celebrate mother's day this year as a MOM and not just a "future" mom. :) I woke up to Jayson and Hudson sleeping next to each other all snuggled up (Jayson had gotten up with Hudson to let me sleep in, I know! what a sweetie!) and it was just the perfect moment. I love being Hudson's mom, and I love watching him learn new things and grow. My mom gave me a little hand towel that has the saying, "motherhood, the toughest job you will you'll ever love" and it is SO true! Just when I think I can't go one more minute without some sleep, or I can't wait another second to shower, God gives me the strength to keep going. Being a mother has strengthened my testimony so much. I feel so much closer to God, and I can see how close Hudson is to the other side when I look in his eyes. I love seeing that far off look in his eyes, and I always wonder what he is thinking about or remembering. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father has allowed Hudson to come to our family, and trusted me enough to allow me to be a mother. It is such an amazing experience. I am just trying to enjoy every moment with my sweet baby.
So when Hudson was maybe just a month and a half old we noticed that he had been showing signs of preference of looking towards his right shoulder most of the time during the day and while he was sleeping. We tried positioning his toys on the one side and it seemed to be getting better. When he was between the 2 and 3 month marks we tried to position him with a sleeping wedge at night because it didn't seem to be getting better. Hudson has been a wild sleeper since he came home from the hospital. The wedge didn't work because he would roll and it wasn't even effective. I just kept thinking that the flat spot would work itself out. At his 4 month appt our pediatrician recommended that we go to a physical therapist. Our physical therapist diagnosed him with torticollis which is a condition that causes a baby's head and neck to tilt to one side. It affects about 2% of newborns. The cause is unknown, some doctors think that when a baby is in the uterus and their head is tilted to one side and their neck is down it cuts of the blood supply to the neck. It results in tightness of one or two of the sternocleidomastiod muscles that connect the breastbone, head, and neck. This condition causes NO pain. We did physical therapy stretches for about a month and a half (until about 2 weeks ago) and luckily they worked! Hudson has no more tightness in his neck. But because of the torticollis it caused another condition called plagiocephaly. Which is a malformation of the head marked by an oblique slant to the main axis of the skull. So he has actually a pretty small flat spot on the right side of his head. The important thing is that this condition DOES NOT affect Hudson's brain growth, DOES NOT cause developmental delays, and DOES NOT cause brain damage. I want to educate our friends and family because for the next 4 months or so you will be seeing Hudson/pictures of Hudson in a custom fitted helmet that will help put pressure on the peaks on his head and leave room for the valleys on his head to grow. We are doing this so that Hudson hopefully doesn't get teased when he gets bigger. It is sad how nasty kids can be these days, and we want the best for Hudson and Jayson and I made this decision hoping that people won't be dumb and stare and make fun of him. We just got his helmet casted today and it should be coming in a week or two.
Anyways, sorry I went off about that, and sorry there are no pictures. Hopefully more to come soon! Hope everyone is having a wonderful week!

3 comments:

Christian, Kerri, & The Boys said...

Porter had the same thing and he only had to do 6 session at the Chiro and how he has it no more!! You might want to try a Chiropractor. I am glad you are enjoying being a MOMMY! Its the greatest!

KymandKalab said...

I can't even imagine 6 months old- Malloree is 7 weeks today and I'm shocked at how fast it is going by. I'm glad they can help Hudson out. He'll be a cutie pie in his helmet cuz he's just so darn cute anyway!

Gordon and Robyn said...

I think it is very selfless of you to put him in the helmet now to help him later. It will be better if unkind or uncompassionate people stare now when Hudson is oblivious than later when he understands. I think he looks adorable in his helmet.
We have some other friends who have a son that needed a helmet. They're on our blog list (the Parrish family). Sam is three now and he is a happy, perfectly healthy boy.
one more thing, I love how much hair Hudson has! Ollie certainly wouldn't need a haircut to wear the helmet. At the rate he is growing hair he won't need a haircut until he is 10!